Sara’s district office is located at 3223 N. Sheffield Ave., Suite A, just ½ block north of the Belmont “L” station. The office is open Monday through Friday, from 9:00 A.M. until 5:00 P.M. If you have any questions or concerns about current legislation, state programs, or need anything else at all, stop by, give us a call, or email us.

Common Constituent Questions

Every week, dozens of constituents call our office for help with a state program. Here is a list of some common questions and answers. If you don’t find the information you’re looking for, e-mail our office and we will be happy to help.

1. What is the Circuit Breaker and Pharmaceutical Assistance Program, and how do I qualify?

The Circuit Breaker and Pharmaceutical Assistance Program assists seniors and disabled individuals in Illinois with their property taxes, rent, and certain prescription drugs. To qualify, you must be an Illinois resident 65 years of age or older (or a disabled Illinois resident age 16 or older) with a yearly income below $22,218 for a one-person household; $29,480 for a two-person household; or $36,740 for a three- or more person household.

The Circuit Breaker Program provides grants for property taxes or rent of up to $700 per year, along with a $54 discount on vehicle license plates. The Pharmaceutical Assistance Program covers drugs that treat Alzheimer’s disease, arthritis, cancer, diabetes, glaucoma, heart disease, blood pressure, lung disease, smoking-related illnesses, osteoporosis, and Parkinson’s disease.

If you would like an application, let us know and we will be happy to send one to you. For more information, you may call the Circuit Breaker hotline at the Illinois Department of Revenue at 800-624-2459 or visit

2. Is there a good resource that can help me identify and enroll in federal, state, local and private programs to help pay for prescription drugs, utility bills, meals, health care and other needs?

The National Council on Aging has a website called Benefits Checkup. To find programs and apply, go to

3. Where can I find affordable housing in the neighborhood?

Our office put together a guide to affordable housing on the north side. If you would like a copy, please call or e-mail us. Also, your alderman’s office can provide additional assistance.

4. Does your office handle residential zone parking permits? What about permits for Cubs night game parking?

No. Residential parking and Cubs night game parking are programs operated by the City of Chicago. For more information, contact your alderman.

5. Where can I get my vehicle information or driver’s license renewal?

License plates, driver’s licenses, and vehicle registration are all handled by the Illinois Secretary of State. There are two satellite offices nearby:

100 West Randolph (James R. Thompson Center), Lower Level – 312-814-5887

5401 North Elston – 773-794-5828

6. How do I apply for Public Aid?

You must apply in person at an intake office operated by the Illinois Department of Human Services. There are two offices that serve the 12th District, according to your ZIP code:

2112 West Lawrence (60613, 60640) – 773-907-4100
1279 North Milwaukee, 3rd Floor (60614, 60657) – 773-292-2900

7. Can you tell me the status of a particular piece of legislation?

Of course, but you can also visit the Illinois General Assembly website, which contains updated information on all current legislation.

Important phone numbers:
Medicare 800-633-4227
Social Security 800-772-1213
Senior Health Insurance Program 800-548-9034
Illinois Department on Aging 800-252-8966
Illinois Department of Public Aid 800-548-9034